Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Damn Grades

Yesterday I was studying with a friend. She was working on some projects for her drawing class, and I was reading some material for a class that I am auditing. Seeing that my energies were on this class as opposed to on classes in which I am fully enrolled, she began to yell at me to do my "real" homework.


I told her that this was stuff that I wanted to learn, whereas the material from my other classes was less interesting and engaging. 

She said,
"But you're not going to get a grade in that class."
"...get a grade..."


Grades. Damn grades. Damn them because they strip the meaning out of education. What ought to be driven by curiosity and a fundamental desire for knowledge (too idealistic?), instead is driven by the "yes" of pleasing people. The "yes" of meeting societal standards so that we can have "success."


Hypothesis: Grades have damned us to be yes-men and women if we are to have worldly success.

-nate bozarth

No comments:

Post a Comment